ASF - General Information
- African Swine Fever (ASF) is a virus that has gained a lot of attention internationally over the past 2.5 years as it has been rapidly spreading throughout countries in Europe, Asia and Africa. To date no countries in North America have detected ASF. In Canada, ASF is a reportable disease under the Health of Animals Act. All suspected cases must be reported to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). This virus only impact pigs, ASF is not harmful to humans. Greater than 95% of pigs that are infected with this virus will die. ASF spreads through both direct and indirect contact with infected pigs or products containing pork, as well as contaminated farm equipment, feed and clothing. It poses a significant risk to the health of the Canadian swine herd, pork industry and the Canadian economy.
- The coordination of ASF planning, preparedness and readiness for response sits with the Council. On April 1, 2021 Dr. Christa Arsenault started in a one-year term position with the Council as the National ASF Coordinator. Over the next year Christa and her team will work hard at developing connections with all levels of ASF planning including national, provincial and industry organizations within Canada. Main objective will be to continue to move ASF planning and preparedness initiatives in a forward direction while ensuring that deliverables are meeting associated timelines.
- In addition to the ongoing work that the ASF Executive Management Board (ASF EMB) has in progress, many provinces, provincial swine industry associations and provincial pork boards have organized internal structures and groups that are working on ASF planning and preparedness initiatives.
- So much fantastic work has been completed for ASF planning and preparedness to date. The goals for the Council moving forward will be to provide coordination and to ensure best communications practices amongst all involved including to our stakeholders.
ASF Coordination Team:
- Christa Arsenault - National ASF Coordinator: email@example.com
- Morgan Radford - ASF Project Lead: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michelle Thompson - ASF Project Lead: email@example.com