December 6 – 7, 2011 · Ottawa
Forum 2011 provided a forum for stakeholders to provide input to the NFAHW Council on three current topics that the Council is working on.
The Governance session provided an opportunity to hear of the Council activities since its formation; to hear a presentation on Animal Health Australia, a successful alternate governance model; and a presentation on the Foot and Mouth review led by Agriculture and AgriFood Canada which demonstrates the complexity of relationships in dealing with an animal health emergency in Canada.
The Surveillance session used the Council's recently published surveillance advisory report, Surveillance in a Time of Transition in Farmed Animal Health, as the basis for discussion.
The Animal Welfare session provided an opportunity for input to the Council on the animal welfare advisory statement being developed by Council. A document titled "National Vision for a Farm Animal Welfare Assurance System" was used as the basis for discussion.
- What we heard summary - Session 1 - Governance
- What we heard summary - Session 2 - Surveillance
- What we heard summary - Session 3 - Animal Welfare
- Post Forum Press Release
- Presentations (Posted if presenter permission granted)
- Session 1 - Governance
- Session 2 - Surveillance
- Report from the NFAHW Council Surveillance Working Group - Dr. Norm Willis
- Public Health Agency of Canada presentation on Zoonotic Diseases - Dr. Mark Raizenne
- Session 3 - Animal Welfare
- Report from the NFAHW Council Animal Welfare Working Group - Dr. David Fraser
- National Farm Animal Care Council Role in Farm Animal Welfare - Jackie Wepruk
- Animal Welfare Australia - Dr. Peter Thornber
- Sustaining Canada's Approach to Farmed Animal Welfare - Jackie Wepruk